10 Positive Practices for Empaths to Flourish
Empaths are unique, highly sensitive people who see and react to the world differently than most. Empathic people process sensory information much more intensely and deeply; they are incredibly sensitive to all the energy around them. Empaths can actually pick up on the feelings and sensations, physical and emotional, (through energy) of other people; making them extremely compassionate and understanding.
This sensitivity usually leads Empaths to a sincere and strong desire to help people; so driven by it they often sacrifice their own well-being, without realizing it, to do so. Empaths are the sensitive types who are drawn to making the world a better place; they are generally kind, loving and understanding in ways others cannot imagine being. Empaths are often drawn to work that is meaningful and that makes a positive difference in the lives of others; like healing, counseling, teaching. healthcare, wellness, alternative medicine, yoga, arts, writing, civil service, charitable volunteering, environmentalism, animal rescuer/caregiving, attorney (justice seeking), activism, and spiritually based businesses. Power, competition and money are not driving forces for an empath.
Part of the Life Purpose for Empaths is to serve, guide, heal and help others; no matter what they are doing, an empath desires doing these things for other people. There is an ever increasing number of these sensitive souls incarnating over the last several decades due to a huge energy shift and awakening on our planet. These are time of serious change and many old patterns of behavior are falling away; but there is an excess of negative energy occurring as part of this process. Empaths help to transmute that energy and lead others to the higher levels of vibration and consciousness that they naturally embrace. Part of the Empath's Purpose is to help with this shift and lead the world, by example, to a more loving, balanced and peaceful state. All of this being said, it's important to note that Empaths are not any more special than any other person at all, our souls have simply chosen a different path than most (but it doesn't make it better than any other; that is ego based thinking). While the Empath's purpose is important right now, so are all others; because it all combines into the wholeness of what is, and that oneness is exactly what needs to be understood (we are all one, not separate but part of the whole).
Empaths must understand their sensitivity and how to use it in positive ways. They abhor toxic, negative energy like violence, anger, injustice and chaos. Making their mission at once very important, but possibly quite difficult (with the current state of the world) for those who are not fully aware and educated on how to best navigate such times as these. For an empath, self-care and full awareness are vital; otherwise they can get drained by negative energy or sucked into toxic situations and relationships that leave them wanting to hide from the world, instead of being a beacon of light for it. Knowledge is power, and when an empath has the knowledge of how to flourish and thrive, they can ignite their personal abilities and lead others to the light (another name for empath is Lightworker).
The elements of self-care for Empaths include ones that are important for all of humanity, but everything runs much deeper. An empath must understand energy and the way it affects him or her (which is different for each of us). There must be practices in place to ensure you are maintaining a higher vibration, because that vibration is what helps the world and allows you to create exactly how your life can be an example. With a set of practices the help maintain a higher vibration, Empaths lead by example and show people a more peaceful way to live; not perfect (perfection is an illusion), but higher vibrating and more positive. We are here to change thinking patterns and help elevate humanity. But first, we have to awaken and do that for ourselves!
Here are 10 positive practices for Empaths to thrive and flourish:
1. Learn about energy: We are beings of energy, and this energy has a vibration. All living things have an energy vibration and even inanimate objects absorb energy; ever walk into someone's home and felt an inexplicable and tense coldness? Or a sincere welcoming warmth? That's the energy of the space. It is the vibration of energy that Empaths are sensitive to; its how we read the world around us. This is why places where there is a lot of energy in a compact area, like a crowded shopping mall for example, can be overwhelming for us; it's an energy overload that can be draining. This can also include workplaces, schools, hospitals, etc..; throw in artificial lighting (which is low vibrating energy) and no wonder we are tired at the end of a work day; our energy is drained. Your homework, as an Empath, is to learn all you can about energy so you can begin to understand your personal level of sensitivity (which will be an ongoing process and it can heighten over time). Most books about the Law of Attraction discuss energy (LOA is like energy attracts like energy). I recommend E Squared by Pam Grout as a good start.
2. Self-love: Self-love is part of what Empaths are here to teach humanity, mainly by example. Self-love sets the tone for our vibration and is the foundation for everything we create in our lives. How you take care of yourself, speak about (and to) yourself and love yourself teaches people how to treat you. As an empath, people are drawn to your naturally higher vibrating energy; they are watching you. One of the biggest ways we help change the world for the better is by BEING THE CHANGE! Self-love is needed not only for an empath to thrive, but to also flourish in the purpose of peace on Earth (which is God's plan). When we each love ourselves fully and unconditionally, true peace will be possible; and it happens one person at a time.
3. Clean Eating and Living: Part of self-love is self-care, and Empaths must excel at it. Not only because of our energy sensitivities, but as examples for others. Everything we put in (food, drink, medicine, etc), on (personal care items, clothing, etc) and around (household cleaners, outdoor products, etc) our bodies has an effect. Empaths are especially sensitive to all of these things and must be extremely conscious of their choices. Eating super clean and organic is very important; low vibrating foods and allergens can reek havoc with our health and bodies. The same is true for what we put on our bodies and what we are exposed to in our environment. Harsh chemical cleaners and personal care items are not for our highest good. We are here, in part, to help protect our planet; environmental consciousness and kindness is part of how we can make the world a better place (and lead by example). Products that test on animals, or are hurtful in the process of creating them to the Earth or animals, have very low vibrating energy; we can feel the suffering by using or eating the products. Choose animal and earth friendly products. Eat and live super clean. Practice the spiritual philosophy of ahimsa; do no harm.
4. Energy healing: Energy healing is part of the Life Purpose for many Empaths, but it is also a vital practice for Empaths to have for their self care. As highly energy sensitive beings, we need to give our chakras consistent support so they are clear and balanced. This helps us maintain a higher vibration and releases negative energy; ensuring we are in a state of optimal well being. Energy healing needs to be a consistent part of your health regimen as an empath (learning a modality for yourself is a great idea).
5. Energy protection: Being highly sensitive to energy means that Empaths absorb energy from their surroundings and other people. Negative and positive energy is always present; it's yin and yang. Empaths can easily become imbalanced by absorbing too much energy and holding on to what isn't necessarily theirs (pain, emotions, feelings, illness, etc). Energy protection is simply a way to protect your energy field so you do not absorb what is not yours and create imbalances. This is something an empath should do every day, like brushing your teeth. There are many techniques and tools for energy protection, I recommend wearing a protective healing crystal bracelet like Black Onyx or Amethyst.
6. Move Your Body: Our bodies release toxins (a form of negative energy) through salt. Emotional toxins (negative emotions) are released through tears, which is why crying can actually be good for you (Empaths need a good cry one in a while). Toxins in the body are released through sweat. It is vital to release these toxins for Empaths because they can build up over time and create energy blocks. Exercise is a great way to sweat! But it should be something you like to do, Empaths need to be picky about this. Being in nature for exercise is great (walking, running, biking, canoeing etc), because nature is very high vibrating so the benefits of spending time in it are amazing for Empaths. Yoga is another beneficial option because it combines exercise with a spiritual practice that is designed to release negative energy (very similar to energy healing) and allow you to enter a meditative state. No wonder many Empaths practice and/or teach yoga, and yoga studios are a great place to connect with other sensitive people. Note: protect your energy during a yoga class, people are releasing negative energy as part of yoga, so an empath must be protected to reap the benefits.
7. Meditation: Meditation is the best way to connect with spirit and your higher self. It clears your mind, releases,negative energy and ignites your intuition. Empaths really need some sort of meditation practice. It doesn't necessarily have to be formal (30 minutes in lotus position). Many Empaths find it best to reach meditative states while doing yoga, being in nature, being creative, doing energy healing, sitting quietly while breathing, using a guided meditation, etc... Take time for yourself every day to let go, relax and restore; without it you will get drained and sink your vibration.
8. Authentic Discernment: You must make choices that are for your highest good. You cannot be an advocate for anyone else unless you are one for yourself! As an empath, you must be very discerning not only about how you spend your time (avoiding low vibrating energy in entertainment, hobbies, work and social activities), but also who you spend your with. Make choices that align with your true feelings (be authentic at all times, it is higher vibrating). If you feel uncomfortable or drained around a certain person (or group of people), do not spend time with them. You can make authentic choices for your highest good without explanation and, in doing so, you teach and help others do the same. Being authentic and discerning eliminates a lot of toxic drama and the world needs much more truth; empaths can be that truth.
9. Trust Your Instincts: YOU ARE INTUITIVE! As an energy sensitive person, you can sense the energy of people and situations which gives you a keen intuitive insight. Trust your instincts, senses and feelings. When your Solar Plexus chakra (gut) is tense, that is a sign to pay attention because there is low vibrating energy around (it could be lying, anger, chaos, or other low vibe energy). When you feel drawn to someone and at ease, that is a sign of resonating and harmonious energy. You also will have intuitive thoughts, ideas, visions, dreams and knowledge; learn to follow and trust your intuitive feelings and remember, your intuition is a guidance system, not an explanation system.
10. Call on Archangel Michael: Empaths need a lot of unconditional support, love and understanding. Having a connection with some form of spirituality (whatever resonates for you) can help you understand more about being an empath and connecting to your Life Purpose. Archangel Michael, as well as your personal Guardian Angels, can help you fine tune your own intuitive abilities and guide you to your Life Purpose and any healing you might need along the way. Archangel Michael helps protect our energy (call on him to do so), aligns us with our purpose and guides us to discernment (feel free to ask him for signs). You can ask Archangel Michael for help and guidance any time, no formal prayer is necessary. Try communicating during a meditation and ask for a sign of his presence.