5 Ways to Protect your Energy (and stop getting drained)
If you are energy sensitive (aka an empath or highly sensitive person) , you can deeply sense the energy around you; often taking on the emotions and/or pain of others as if they were your own. This sensitivity is a result of your central nervous system processing sensory information more intensely and the very different way that energy can affect you emotionally and physically.
The upside of energy sensitivity is immeasurable. Highly sensitive people are intuitive, compassionate and kind individuals who are often driven to help others and make the world a better place. Empaths can tune into the feelings of others and provide insightful comfort and care; making them great healers, counsellors, teachers and advocates. Energy sensitives also tend to be less judgmental, because they can feel and understand the energy and feelings of people on all sides of any issues.
One of the main downsides to being highly sensitive is becoming overwhelmed by the energy around you. Absorbing the feelings, emotions and physical sensations of others can drain your own energy. Energy sensitivity creates a strong empathy for others, leading many to literally take on the emotions and pain of those around them; from feelings to physical symptoms. This can leave many who are sensitive feeling fatigued, anxious, irritable, stressed and even in physical pain. But it does not have to be this way. It is possible to enjoy the many "pros" of being an empath while safeguarding against the "cons". It's a simple as understanding energy and knowing how to work with it (in your favor).
Protecting your energy refers to being aware of your own vibration and field of energy; taking mindful action to keep your energy clear, balanced and high vibrating for your optimal well-being. This helps to avoid getting drained, feeling overwhelmed, becoming anxious or manifesting physical symptoms (like pain or headaches). Here are 5 ways to protect your energy:
1. Healing Crystals: Healing crystals balance the body using the healing properties of gemstones and crystals. When crystals are worn or placed on your body, they have a powerful vibratory effect that surges from the crystal to you. Each stone has a different purpose; working with various chakras and organs to bring about physical and emotional healing, as well as providing energy protection. Any black crystals, like Black Onyx or Jet, provide protection for your energy field. A grounding Crystal, like Hematite, will do the same. It helps create a boundary so you can take your space and help others, without taking on energy and issues that are not yours. I wear a Black Onyx or Hematite bracelet every day for this purpose.
2. Reiki: This could apply to any form of energy healing; Reiki is the one I Practice and teach, so I can speak with experience about using it for energy protection. Once you learn and become attuned to Level 2 Reiki, you can use the symbols for energy protection and clearing. You can also receive Reiki Healing if you aren't trained and ask your practitioner to do this for you.
3. Archangel Michael: AA Michael is a protector. A great technique for energy protection is to ask him for it and envision yourself surrounded by a soft bluish-purple light (this can be used for literal and energy protection of people and material items). You can also wear an amethyst which is Archangel Michael's Crystal, it is great for protection.
4. Cross Cross: if you are ever in a situation where someone is being very negative, cross your arms and legs and set the intention that your energy is protected. This sends a clear signal with body language as well, and the person will likely stop.
5. Bubble of Light: Light is a form of energy and can provide protection for your personal field. Picture yourself surrounded by white, purple or pink light; or layer all 3. White light is pure and clears energy, purple light is protective and pink light is loving energy; any of them work alone and combined together they keep you centered in positive energy.
There are lots of other techniques available for energy protection, experiment to find the ones that work best for you. It's important to remember that this is not about protecting yourself from anyone who means you harm; people are generally not "out to get you". This is about recognizing your own sensitivity and safeguarding so you can function daily. These techniques help set healthy energy boundaries so you do not take on all that energy swirling around every day and can serve your purpose in your optimal state of well-being.